CompTIA Security+ Exam SYO-501 vs. Exam SYO-601
The Security+ certification exam is designed to evaluate your knowledge of the latest cybersecurity trends and techniques. It covers the core concepts and technical skills in risk assessment, risk management, forensics, incident response, security controls, enterprise networks, and hybrid/cloud operations to ensure high job performance levels. The new CompTIA Security+ exam has five domains instead of the previous six domains.
CompTIA Security+ SYO-501 Exam Domains:
- Technologies and Tools (22%)
- Threats, Attacks, and Vulnerabilities (21%)
- Identity and Access Management (16%)
- Architecture and Design (15%)
- Risk Management (14%)
- Cryptography and PKI (12%)
CompTIA Security+ SYO-601 Exam Domains:
- Implementation (25%)
- Attacks, Threats, and Vulnerabilities (24%)
- Architecture and Design (21%)
- Operations and Incident Response (16%)
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance (14%)
The new CompTIA Security+ SYO-601 exam has fewer exam objectives (topics) than the SYO-501 exam. CompTIA Security+ SY0-501 covers 37 exam objectives under six domains. On the other hand, SY0-601 will cover 35 objectives under 5 domains. Moreover, the SY0-601 exam objectives include more examples under each objective. According to CompTIA, the number of examples is increased by about 25% in the objectives of the updated version (SYO-601). Examples are added to understand the concept behind each objective. It will further help the IT professional to prepare for the certification exam and for the job roles as well.
The 90-minutes-long exam with a passing score of 750 comprises of 90 multiple-choice and performance-based questions.
Note: SY0-501 Cryptography and PKI objectives have been moved to SY0-601 objectives 2.8 Summarize the basics of cryptographic concepts” and 3.9 “Given a scenario, implement public key infrastructure.”
Security+ SY0-601 Job Skills
- To identify, analyze and respond to cybersecurity events and incidents
- To monitor and secure hybrid environments, which operate on premises and in the cloud
- To operate with an awareness of applicable laws and policies
- To assess the cybersecurity posture of an enterprise environment using various tools and techniques, and
- To recommend and implement appropriate cybersecurity solutions
The certification is also useful for the following roles:
- Help desk manager/analyst
- Network/cloud engineer
- Security engineer/analyst
- DevOps/software developer
- IT auditor
- IT project manager
Overall, what changes are there to SY0-601?
- More threats, attacks and vulnerabilities
- Migration to the cloud
- Emphasis on entry-level incident response
- Governance, risk and compliance
- Risk mitigation with increased device configuration
- Best practices for cybersecurity and organizational security
- Deeper penetration test and vulnerability scan
CompTIA Security+ SYO-601 exam covers the most current skills and knowledge that candidates need to be able for:
- Assessing the information security posture of enterprise environments
- Recommending and implementing proper security solutions
- Monitoring and securing hybrid environments
- Operating with an awareness of policies and laws that are applicable
- Identifying, analyzing, and responding to cybersecurity incidents and events.
CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501) exam will retire on: July 31, 2021.
The new Security+ (SY0-601) exam released in November 2020.
Available from: Security+ practice exam
Please refer following link for Security+ SYO-601study guide.